Difference Between Gamecube Black Label & Player's Choice

Author Topic: Difference Between Gamecube Black Label & Player's Choice  (Read 8391 times)

Bower554

• Newcomer
Difference Between Gamecube Black Label & Player's Choice
« on: December 25, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »
I read on ebay where sellers  always note that a game is "not" the Player's Choice version, as if player's Choice was inferior.  So I was wondering black label vs. player's choice, which Gamecube game one is worth more (if either).  I have Luigi's Mansion in player's choice and was wondering what is the difference between the two. Thanks!

Cougar

• Newcomer
Re: Difference Between Gamecube Black Label & Player's Choice
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
I have the black version and a friend of mine has the player's choice version of Mario Kart, and we play both games and there is no difference that I can detect.

Bower554

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
Thanks

gabe

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:46:38 AM »
I don't believe that there is any difference between the two except the game case. I read that games are given the "Player's Choice" tag contingent oin how popular they are based on reviews. So games are first released as normal, and after popular review as "Player's Choice".

pRaZoR

• Fakie Tweak
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
There is a difference. The black label Gamecubes are the first prints, and the Player's choice games are later editions that have been reviewed. Personally, I would never purchase a Player's choice.

NesMan

• Global Moderator
  • NeS GaMeR
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »
As far as the game play on the disks, there is no difference between the two. The Player's Choice version is the exact same game, but a later release. It really was a marketing label used by Nintendo to promote video games that have sold well in the market (over 1 million sold). And much like the first release of a book is a first print, the first release of a gamecube game is actually more valuable. Gamecube games can not be released as Player's Choice, they become player's choice by popularity. The Player's Choice games are usually listed for sale at a lower price and have the yellow labeling on the top portion of the case. Also, resale "value" is typically greater for the original black label versions, just as it would be for an original printing of a book. But as far as the actual disk, normally you wouldn't be able to tell the difference without getting into the code for a date reference.

Just a side note, there are actually 3 different versions of some gamecube games. They are the Players Choice, the original Black Label versions, and a Black Label version with a "Best Seller" gold label printed on it.

BoyFrom7J

• Frat Boy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »

I have often wondered about that too. Thanks!

Scorpius

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 06:29:38 AM »
There is a difference. The black label Gamecubes are the first prints, and the Player's choice games are later editions that have been reviewed. Personally, I would never purchase a Player's choice.

Agreed. If you have a choice, always go for the black label version. They will result in a better resale price.