My N64 Has Sound, But No Picture

Author Topic: My N64 Has Sound, But No Picture  (Read 1916 times)

Bobby

• Newcomer
My N64 Has Sound, But No Picture
« on: January 16, 2016, 05:26:34 PM »
I've got a problem with my N64. I turned it on today and all I could get was sound, but no picture. Before anyone gives me solutions that I have already tried, here's what I have already tried.

1. Checked AV port and Cable
   2. Checked 48 pin connector
   3. Checked games to make sure contacts are clean
   4. Checked TV connections

Anyone have any ideas?

ShotGunShine

• Who'dat
Re: My N64 Has Sound, But No Picture
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 03:30:46 AM »
Sound but no picture might be a bad PPU chip. If that's the case, you'd be better off just getting a new motherboard.  If you've checked all the other things, it must be a bad chip.

Bobby

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »
Wow, I got a response. But I don't think it's the PPU. Nothing comes on the screen at all, and pressing reset doesn't change the picture in the slightest. Any other suggestions on what it might be?

Neo

• New Surreal
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:04:58 PM »
I have spent many years collecting old NES and SNES consoles and repairing them and I find that almost all of the SNES problems are linked to dried up and bad capacitors. Capacitors have a gook inside them and after about 25 years they start to leak or dry up. You can buy SNES capacitor kits if you have some soldering skills, because the SNES is getting old and you'll see more and more of these problems. Even if your SNES is working, it's good to replace the capacitors because sooner or later they will give out. It's just a matter of time.

Jade

• Traveler
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »
Bad capacitors doesn't sound like a problem that would cause sound but no picture. I'd say it's more likely a chip problem, maybe the PUP.

Bobby

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »

I was asking about an N64, not a SNES. Though I would imagine they might have the same symptoms and problems after they get old.

Resolved my problem by buying a new motherboard. Still have the old one if anyone is interested. Two to be exact.

Jim Stone

• Administrator
  • Assistant Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 12:35:18 PM »
If the N64 has any serious problems, 99% of the time it is 48 pin connector related. Either the 48 pin connector is dirty, is rusted, corroded, or its pins (that can't be seen, but that contact the motherboard sockets) are not making proper contact. It is extremely rare that the N64 has chip or component problems like the SNES does when it gets old.

However, sound but no picture can indicate a possible component or chip problem.