The Cartridge Tray on my NES Won't Stay Down

Author Topic: The Cartridge Tray on my NES Won't Stay Down  (Read 4844 times)

Ryan

• Nintendo Forever
The Cartridge Tray on my NES Won't Stay Down
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:54:46 AM »
I recently bought a new pin connector off ebay, but after I installed it, my game tray won't stay in the down position. When I push it down, it just clicks and then comes back up.  Any ideas what might be the problem or what I did wrong?   :'(

Geek Gunner

• Techie Means Ninja Knowledgeable
    • The Geek Forum
Re: The Cartridge Tray on my NES Won't Stay Down
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:31:27 PM »
I recently bought a new pin connector off ebay, but after I installed it, my game tray won't stay in the down position. When I push it down, it just clicks and then comes back up.  Any ideas what might be the problem or what I did wrong?   :'(

If it was working fine before you took it out, it sounds like you may have installed the cartridge tray with its tab on top of the circuit board. This is a common problem because often times care isn't taken to remember to slide the little tab on the tray under the circuit board. People just lay it on top of it and screw it down. That causes all kinds of problems from the tray not working correctly to the game not seating correctly and you still get a blinking or solid colored screen with no picture or sound.

I would suggest that you go back and take the tray off, look on the underside where you see this little part (shaped like a tab) that sticks out near the white plastic latch mechanism. That little tab piece must slide under the circuitboard. It may take you a couple tries, but it must go under.

Geeks Do It With a Hard Drive!

Po Boy

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:08:06 PM »
If you take it apart you'll find there is a little wire catch that slips in and out and holds the tray down. and lets it come up. The wire catches on a white plastic "catch". You might try bending the wire slightly so that it will go through the plastic more smoothly. That worked for me for a while.

cale114

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »
A stop gap solution is to play your games through the game Genie. That way, it doesn't have to be pushed down.

NesMan

• Global Moderator
  • NeS GaMeR
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »

BUY IT  (Add it to your Cart and Check out)

It's easier just to buy a working one as it's difficult to keep it work correctly after the plastic that holds the pin becomes worn at the pinnacle. That's generally what causes the problem of the cart "staying down," or the cart "refusing to stay down." Both are caused by a worn plastic  bushing. They're relatively cheap so why hassle with trying to reposition the pin?

Iam2 Dead

• Thank U Very Mush
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »

Just open up the deck and remove the top shielding until you get to the cartridge. Remove the screws to the cartridge and the circuitboard. Then slide the cartridge up to the front, then back in making sure the tab is seated "under" the circuit board. Screw all the screws back in. You're all done.

Ryan

• Nintendo Forever
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »

Thanks guys, Bought the Cartridge Tray cart, incredibly got in in 3 days,  put it in this morning and now it works perfectly.  I'm NES'N again!

Joker

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »
A stop gap solution is to play your games through the game Genie. That way, it doesn't have to be pushed down.

I noticed that too. That is strange. But Nintendo fixed the problem with the release of the NES Top Loader.

Iam2 Dead

• Thank U Very Mush
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »

I noticed that too. That is strange. But Nintendo fixed the problem with the release of the NES Top Loader.

Which costs a small fortune now because so few were made.  :(

Bad Rappa

• Rapp'n Fool
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »

Which costs a small fortune now because so few were made.  :(

You can get a great deal on ebay if you are just patient. Use one of those sniper services, and bid on every one, but only up to say 45.00. Sooner or later, on one of the auctions, it will be the perfect storm and you'll actually win it for like 30.00. The best times to get things cheap are on auctions that end in the wee hours of the morning, or early the next day.