16 (23.5%)
*** Very Good
10 (14.7%)
** Average
4 (5.9%)
* Poor
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Goldeneye: 007 Game Review  (Read 6632 times)

NesMan

• Global Moderator
  • NeS GaMeR
Goldeneye: 007 Game Review
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »

Developed by Rare, Ltd., and Published by Nintendo of America Inc., and released on August 25 of 1997, GoldenEye 007 was one of the most widely anticipated titles for the Nintendo 64. And it sure didn't disappoint, as it turned out to be one of the most highly acclaimed, innovative and ground breaking games ever made. Let me tell you, the Rare Ltd designers have outdone themselves with this absolutely brilliant first-person shooter that has become an instant classic. It is not only a unique, intelligently designed and challenging game, but it is a fun and guilty pleasure as well. Goldeneye 007, in a nutshell, is an addicting 1st person shooter blending spy adventure and mission solving with first class shooter action. This game features you, playing James Bond, the famous hero of the Ian Fleming's novels. Based upon the movie of the same name, this is one great game to play.

The scenario goes the way of the movie in that you and your friend (Agent 006) are sent to the Soviet Union on a secret mission, but 006 is presumed killed and you barely escape yourself. Ten years later, an ominous new secret orbital satellite called "GoldenEye" threatens the world. And now it's up to 007 to go back to the Soviet Union, find and recover the key to a devastating Soviet weapon, and end this world threat once and for all. 007: Goldeneye has many diverse super gadgets and weapons that you get to use, including your fists, guns and grenades. Moreover, finding out how and when to use certain gadgets, and understanding the art of when not to kill an enemy is also an integral part of the game.

The game is totally polygonal and played in eighteen different action packed missions, each having it's own best way to progress. There are also 3 difficulty levels to choose from that ensures that the Goldeneye has staying power. I never tire of playing this game, and I especially like its support for four-player multiplayer cooperation with rumble pak compatibility and many options.

Now for the important stuff. The control and gameplay is simply outstanding. The graphics for its time are top of the line. I remember when it first came out I was blown away by the detail and  brilliantly executed environments. From installations within a dam to snow caves to Cuban jungles, each setting makes you believe you are there. And on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the music in this game an 11. Simply superb music and the best sound effects you could ask for. I just sat and fired bullets at the glass to break it, at the metal supports at the wood sidings etc, just to hear the different perfectly executed sounds that it made.

Goldeneye 007 became an instant classic and is one game that is on everyone's Top N64 Games list. In my view, 007 Goldeneye is clearly the best single-player first-person shooter game on any system. And that's saying a lot. And as for four-player multiplayer mode, that alone is worth the purchase. If you don't own Goldeneye for Nintendo 64, you don't have a complete N64 game collection.

007: Goldeneye Review by NesMan (NeS GaMeR)

Big Daddy

• Step Off
Re: Goldeneye: 007 Game Review
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:20:51 PM »

YES! Who would ever review and rate Goldeneye Poor except a Troll. So Please don't feed the trolls. Everyone loves this game on the Nintendo 64, because it is the most influential first-person shooter of all time and you can play it again and again and still have fun. Goldeneye has the best (and I do mean the best) music and sound in the history of gaming, and the gameplay is just phenomenal. can you say Revolutionary? Goldeneye! Just saying the name brings back so many great memories as I've been playing it since I was nine years old, and always find something exciting about it. I rated it five out of 5 stars for graphics (1997 era), challenge, enjoyment and gameplay.

Dave

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »

Oh man, this game was amazing. I loved the fact that it starts out relatively easy, and then gets progressively a little  harder each level. by the time you are in deed, it's really hard. But stick at it and you'll overcome. It is great to have your friends over to play with you because that adds to the enjoyment. Once you get done with Agent mode, you go on to secret Agent mode where the game is more challenging and fun. things like the scientists are no longer passive, but will pull guns on you, even after shot. The whole atmosphere of Golden Eye is what really stands out for me. It's very interactive and virtually everything encountered can be destroyed. This is a real cool game. Definitely a 10.

bogie

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:20:20 AM »
To coin a phrase, I came to praise Goldeneye, but to bury it. I voted poor because Goldeneye was an overhyped, overrated game, because it was just a fairly standard shooter. Moreover the design was horrid. The characters had undefined block faces when you were close up, and the graphics sucked in may areas. The game level borders were stupid! And the aiming of the rifles and guns were terrible. I had to spend 5 seconds just trying to aim the damn gun. While the bad guy shot 3 times. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks Goldeneye is overrated. The music and sound effects were good but that doesn't make up for the sorry logistics or dead people disappearing. The single player mode was boring, and the multiplayer just tolerable. The only reason anybody likes it anymore is the nostalgia of it being the only good fps back then. Perfect Dark was so much better. Not only has the game aged horribly, it wasn't "all that" to begin with. Glad its passed away, fit to be buried like Caesar.

HoPpInJoHn

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 01:19:11 AM »

Thanks! And now for my review. By the previous reviewer trashing this game, it only served to remind me of how much fun we had playing Golden eye back in the day. I went back to play it again just to confirm it stands the test of time. I was not disappointed. It's on my (and nearly everyone else's) Top Ten of all time N64 games.

The appeal of James Bond us that "the men want to be him, the women want to be with him and the haters are jealous of him". It's just one reason why gamers played this game over and over and again and still had fun. Its missions were pretty true to the movie, the plot was very close, and the suspense and nervousness you experienced during play almost made it as close to real as the N64 architecture would allow. This game will be remembered for generations, long after some of the modern ones have faded into time.

The greatness of its design is demonstrated by shooting an enemy character. He may squirm in agony before he dies or jump to the side forcing you to re-aim and shot. If you managed to hit an enemy in the head they would fall and die in one shot. But hit them in the arm or leg and they will limp around still trying to shoot you. That's just a little of the reason why this game was way ahead of its time.

Anyway, I think the poll numbers speak for themselves. You are the exception, not the rule. Goldeneye is one of the best loved games ever made for the N64, and with good reason. You can't judge an old Nintendo 64 game by today's game standards. That would make no sense at all. For its time, Goldeneye was the best shooter around, and the number of copies sold suppoirt that. An all time classic in all that entaiils.