How Do You Get Sealed Games Graded?

Author Topic: How Do You Get Sealed Games Graded?  (Read 25240 times)

Soul Reaver

• Pump It Up
Re: How Do You Get Sealed Games Graded?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »

I think I fall on the side of those who believe this is a bad idea and a money grab,  but I will say that it's good to hear both sides of the issue, as opposed to other forums dominated by those who hate both the idea and anyone who would dare be in favor of it.

Po Boy

• Newcomer
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »
Here's what I don't like about it. The entrepreneurs have a cheap game graded and then put it on ebay as an overpriced item worth three times as much (supposedly). That is just ridiculous. How is something worth three times as as much just because some Yoko put .99 cents worth of plastic around it and the number 85?

I have no problem with personal collectors that just want to preserve a rare game to keep it in pristine condition, but the businessmen ruin it for everyone artificially running up the prices.

Iam2 Dead

• Thank U Very Mush
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »
I personally support the VGA system, and have some NES games that I had graded and others I plan to get graded. It's worth it to me to have a graded example to compare any future purchases I make to see how they stack up grading number-wise. So I will have some idea what a great grade is and how much it is worth. Yeah, money matters  ;D.

thebolang11

• World's Most Interesting Man
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »
I'm intrigued by this topic, even though its been hashed out again and again over the years. It use to be hated. But this VGA thing is really now apparently becoming a popular thing to do. I'm wondering if they do this on opened box games or just for sealed games?

Po Boy

• Newcomer
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 07:59:10 AM »
I have no problem with personal collectors that just want to preserve a rare game to keep it in pristine condition, but the businessmen ruin it for everyone artificially running up the prices.

I think it makes perfect sense because the person that is purchasing a sealed game has far less chance of being ripped off by these same business men who you think are greedy. Purchasing one of these VGA games means you're relatively assured that it is of a particular quality. That takes the guess work out of my buying online, where you have a 50/50 chance of getting a dented, torn plastic or creased boxed game. It gives people the benefit of knowing what condition the game really is in before we spend our hard earned money.

Iam2 Dead

• Thank U Very Mush
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 07:21:09 AM »
Personally, I don't understand why some people have such a big problem with VGA grading. If someone doesn't plan on selling their game, then what possible difference does it make what I personally pay to have a grade put on my game to anyone but me? And if I do plan on selling it later, whose business is it but mine what price I ask for it? So the whole "You shouldn't do this" argument is silly.

Scorpius

• Newcomer
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
I think that the people against grading games are generally young and idealistic. No one has a problem with someone taking a comic book or sports card and having it graded/. Why all the hoopla about games? it's a free country. And the grade actually does makes a difference when purchasing because you are relatively sure what you are getting, as opposed to biting your fingernails worrying if the game is actually in mint condition. Because these unscrupulous sellers always claim tjheir games they sell online are mint. I welcome VGA with open arms. It has improved the industry standards and (if you are collecting) you're pretty sure to at least get your money back if and when you decide to sell.

bogie

• Newcomer
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »
i'm sorry, but I still insist that it is dumb to spend your hard earned cash on getting games graded. it does nothing but place money in these organization's pockets, inflate prices of sealed games and rips the average gamer off. these groups have a monopoly anyway and as I said before, there is no real safeguards on scams. this is not the way we real gamers should think. we should all refuse to be lemmings and follow the ebay nitwits don't know any better and really power this mindless movement.

ShotGunShine

• Who'dat
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2014, 07:22:18 AM »
Listen. This topic really has been talked to death all over the web blogs and forums. It usually turns into bashing sealed game collectors who use VGA. Though I doubt it will become that here because of the excellent rules of conduct. But still, my point is that I buy them and I understand the need for VGA.

There are many collectors like myself who see the need and relative security of buying graded games. For one thing, many buyers simply do not have the knowledge of how to spot frauds, cheaters and liars who pose as reputable merchants on many game selling sites. So why not give them a little assurance that what they are buying is a certain very good condition. I say Good for them. I have no problem with it. As for raising prices, as NESman said, you can still buy sealed games for less than 50 dollars, so it really hasn't affected that all that much.

Bottom line, let those who like the process, but the games they like. And those who don't, no one is forcing you to buy VGA games.