11 (15.7%)
*** Very Good
5 (7.1%)
** Average
2 (2.9%)
* Poor
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Beyond Good And Evil: Game Review  (Read 3623 times)

Jade

• Traveler
Beyond Good And Evil: Game Review
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:14:11 AM »

Ubisoft has created one of the most clever, entertaining and under-appreciated games that you've probably never played. Wrought by Rayman creator Michel Ancel, this is a story in a game that has eye popping visuals, tells a story that is sophisticated, philosophical and weighty, and still be fun, challenging and enjoyable. We're talking outstanding presentation, an interesting premise, cool stylish design and top notch graphics and sound. Gamecube supports Dolby Surround Pro Logic II, a feature that enhances the cinematic experience greatly. You won't find that with this game on some other platforms. They did produce a lot of PS2 and PC versions of this game so they're pretty cheap, but the Xbox version is harder to come by and this Gamecube version is rare and quickly becoming a collector's item. People, this is a Gamecube game well worth the bucks, as there are rich character manipulation, in a graphically vivid and smartly realized game setting. It is filled with weird creatures, hovercraft races, conspiracies, sub plots, sub games, rebels, puzzles, deception, government subversion, secrets and an Alien called DomZ. What more could a gamer ask for? Besides all this, the controls are very fluids, and I like the Gamecube controller layout, with its intuitive Z-control for the camera. The main characters are a young freelance Photo-journalist named Jade, her piggy uncle Pey'j and companion Double H. And with futuristic weapons, ships, camera and intellect, their mission is to infiltrate the corrupt Alpha Section, collect photographic evidence and expose the sedition revolving around a planet under alien attack for the past 100 years! This is a stylish sophisticated action adventure that goes way beyond normal gaming. I would recommend that if you haven't already, get this gamecube game and delve into this larger-than-life super quest. A game as well put together as Beyond Good and Evil only comes around once in a lifetime. Get it while you can find cases and disks that aren't all scratched up and dog bitten. And for all Beyond Good and Evil fans, Ubisoft says keep your eyes open for "Beyond Good & Evil 2." I can't wait!! I give this title 5 Stars!

NesMan

• Global Moderator
  • NeS GaMeR
Re: Beyond Good And Evil: Game Review
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
Developed by Ubisoft Montpellier Studios and published by Ubisoft Entertainment SA, Beyond Good and Evil, from Michel Ancel (the renowned creator of Rayman) was released on December 10, 2003. It is one of the rarest and most under-appreciated "Gamecube" Games ever made. With an interesting premise, surprisingly deep and subtle story, stylish design, top notch graphics, outstanding presentation, and brilliant blend of multiple genres, it is easily one of the best games ever made for GameCube. The scenario is that far into the future there is a planet named Hillys, which is being attacked by an Alien called DomZ, who is kidnapping it's citizens. To make matters worse, there is the rumor of a government conspiracy within Alpha Section, which is supposed to be protecting the citizenry. The highly secretive Rebel organization IRIS uses the media to try and expose this corruption. And after a young brunette freelance Photo-journalist named Jade experiences first-hand an attack, she is recruited by the rogue news network, IRIS. In Beyond Good and Evil you control the young journalist, with her Pin/human uncle, Pey'j and companion Double H., in their mission to infiltrate the corrupt Alpha Section and expose the government conspiracy. Jade will utilize martial arts, stealth, brains and cunning to collect photographic evidence. A lot of the game is based on solving puzzles and stealth, but Jade must explore the large expanse of a water-covered world by hovercraft. You can experience total game freedom of movement and explore this unique world as you travel by foot, hovercraft and spaceship through bustling futuristic cities and stunning landscapes. Jade can interact with merchants hawking their wares, and go to a variety of islands where she can earn money. And as this emotional story progresses, you are inextricably and emotionally drawn into the game.

Indeed, the greatest thing about this game is the unique, deep and intriguing story line that always surrounds Jade's quest, which is jammed full of interesting twists and turns. It even manages to effectively deal with some social issues along the way as you are bound to find out if Jade can ultimately handle the truth that she is seeking. You will find elements of shooting, racing, fighting, and platform action. This stylized and beautifully designed action-adventure plays somewhat like a Zelda game, and is just as interesting and absorbing. A hidden treasure trove of fun and vicarious emotion. And yes, you will see and fell Jade's emotion very effectively throughout the game. And if that wasn't enough, the audio and video is top notch also! Warnings: Animated Violence and Comic Mischief. Also called BGAE.

Review by NesMan (NeS GaMeR)

ThePrimogen

• Wisdom of our Earliest Ancestors Revisited
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »
For a game released in 2003, beyond good and evil is a spectacular game. I really didn't expect much when I picked up this game, but boy was I pleasantly surprised. This is without a doubt the greatest sleeper game, one of the best game that nobody played. How did this one slip through the cracks? With all the effort put into creating the lush, gorgeous environments and great storylines, you would think that the game play in an action-adventure action like this would suffer, but not so. What an enjoyable experience this was. The unique aspect of exploration and how to get good pictures of all these beautiful diverse creatures for cash was challenging and pretty darn neat. Who would have thought taking pictures in a game could be fun.

I give this game 4 3/4 stars out of 5. And the only reason that I didn't give it five is because it was so much fun I wish it was longer.

ShotGunShine

• Who'dat
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:05:02 AM »

Five Stars out of Five!

This game was awesome and so beautifully designed and sculptured that I place it up there with some of the best. the water and sounds are so right on you'll think you are actually on a real sea. You might think a story line like this would make for a boring game, but on the contrary, this was exciting, challenging and has a little bit of everything and a lot of intelligent game play. The game starts out slow and very easy so that you might think it is not going to be much, but boy will you have an awakening. The main point is the relationship between Jade and her strange animal-like friends and family. She's a journalist that must she must save her homeland Hillys from attacks by mysterious ships, and with an undercurrent of government corruption and subversion, this game is a winner. Combining the stealth aspect with battles and the all-out action, blended very smoothly with a pacifist message (with plenty of non-pacifist battles), is a near perfect design that combines to make this a all time classic. Jade herself is hot, and her status as the heroine and underdog immediately makes you want to be on her side and save the day. this game has unbelievable charm and the graphics are outstanding. I cannot, and let me stress CANNOT" believe that this game is not on everyone's list. It is what we call, a sleeper that is well worth the effort to snag. Beyond Good and Evil has a great soundtrack that is easy on the ears. If you have a Gamecube and play it, you have to have this game in your box.

Rogue

• Rogue Agent
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »
Iíve seen the great reviews for Beyond Good and Evil for years, but all of a sudden there are a few bad ones popping up lately. So I was divided over whether I should spend my money (this games not cheap) to pick this Nintendo 64 game up or not.

As it turns out, I did, and I'm glad I did. I have no idea what game these reviewers were playing but it damn sure wasn't this one. Either that or they are Young Republicans. I think perhaps these are the modern gamers who expect an old Gamecube game to be like the new Playstation 3 games or the new Xbox games so they were disappointed. I dunno, but I can tell you they need to take some ExLax for their constipation and loosen up.

This was a great game. A mix between the puzzle and problem solving aspects of Zelda, the exploration aspects of a great RPG, the water rides of games like Waverace, and the boss fighting action of games like Megaman. With a lot of little mini games and gambling mixed in for good measure. I had low expectations when I bought this because I never believe the hype, but in this case, the hype was justified. I loved it. And I'm sure 8 out of 10 of you will love it too. For the other 1, I would suggest fiber or prune juice!