Recent Posts

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Accessories, Hardware and Technical / Re: SNES Power Port Problem
« Last post by Chloe on May 20, 2017, 04:04:04 AM »
Does the SNES power port replacement part come with directions?
« Last post by Jack on May 18, 2017, 06:17:47 AM »
I would say, don't do it. I did it and it took me all day. It is a job getting the old solder off the posts enough to pull the darn thing out. If you've never done desoldering, send it in to let someone do it who knows how. Beside that, you can fry your chip or blow a fuse with a soldering iron if you don't discharge the SNES properly before soldering. Just my advice.
First, glad the forum is back working and we can post again.

Second, I was just looking for a component Gamecube cable and I was shocked to see that they are a minimum $200.00 and some as much as 320.00. What the heck is going on? Are people insane or did I miss something? Why in the world are the Gamecube component cables so expensive? I mean, it's just a cable!
« Last post by Tech#2 on May 14, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »

I would say for the average gamer, it would be somewhat difficult, as you not only have to desolder and then solder, but also lift the SNES power port cartridge  out of the board holes, which takes bending the board slightly. The same to place the new one in. To much force and you can loosen or break solder points or traces. So it all depends upon what you know and how careful you will be. But to someone mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be too difficult.
Accessories, Hardware and Technical / SNES Power Port Problem
« Last post by Chloe on May 12, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »

I have a question concerning the SNES power port. I accidentally yanked the cord and the power port thingy broke and now my SNES turns off if the cord even moves slightly. I have googled this on the web and see you sell new ports for the SNES. I know there is soldering involved, but my question is, is this difficult to install and can someone who is good mechanically do it without damaging the SNES?
Accessories, Hardware and Technical / Re: My N64 Has Sound, But No Picture
« Last post by Jim Stone on May 10, 2017, 12:35:18 PM »
If the N64 has any serious problems, 99% of the time it is 48 pin connector related. Either the 48 pin connector is dirty, is rusted, corroded, or its pins (that can't be seen, but that contact the motherboard sockets) are not making proper contact. It is extremely rare that the N64 has chip or component problems like the SNES does when it gets old.

However, sound but no picture can indicate a possible component or chip problem.
« Last post by Bobby on May 04, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »

I was asking about an N64, not a SNES. Though I would imagine they might have the same symptoms and problems after they get old.

Resolved my problem by buying a new motherboard. Still have the old one if anyone is interested. Two to be exact.
« Last post by Jade on March 02, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »
Bad capacitors doesn't sound like a problem that would cause sound but no picture. I'd say it's more likely a chip problem, maybe the PUP.
« Last post by Neo on January 20, 2016, 02:04:58 PM »
I have spent many years collecting old NES and SNES consoles and repairing them and I find that almost all of the SNES problems are linked to dried up and bad capacitors. Capacitors have a gook inside them and after about 25 years they start to leak or dry up. You can buy SNES capacitor kits if you have some soldering skills, because the SNES is getting old and you'll see more and more of these problems. Even if your SNES is working, it's good to replace the capacitors because sooner or later they will give out. It's just a matter of time.
« Last post by Bobby on January 18, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »
Wow, I got a response. But I don't think it's the PPU. Nothing comes on the screen at all, and pressing reset doesn't change the picture in the slightest. Any other suggestions on what it might be?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10